Wednesday, August 16, 2017

Bob's Back Issue

I'm hoping this post generates some ideas from others as to what I can try to fix my back pain.

Issues:
  • Low back pain over the last two years
    • I've been seeing a chiropractor, on and off, for 15+ years
  • Pain has been more significant in the last couple of years, even more so in the last two months
  • Pain is believed to be caused by a bulging disc hitting a nerve (see MRI image below)
  • Pain is severe enough that I can't do my two hobbies (tennis and drumming), ride in the car for a long time, focus in the morning (when the pain is most severe), sit for more than 20 minutes, etc.

Actions taken over the last two years:
  • Four chiropractors
  • Physical therapy
  • Pain management (one steroid shot at one doctor, then three steroid shots at another)
    • The second set relieved pain for about two weeks
  • Stretching exercises, including an inversion table
  • NSAIDs (Ibuprofen, Aleve, Meloxicam)
    • Ibuprofen and Aleve haven't helped. Trying Meloxicam now.
  • Two MRIs (Apr 2016 and Aug 2017)
Latest suggestion by doctor (15-Aug-2017):
  • Does not recommend surgery because the bulge isn't specific enough, or severe enough, to warrant surgery and the possible longer-term complications that go with it.
    • By "specific enough," I mean there isn't a smaller bulge to cut away; it's a bigger, overall bulge.
  • Recommends radio frequency ablation (radio waves that generate heat that stop the nerves from transmitting pain signals)
    • Apparently this can last from 3-18 months.

What I want:
  • Some suggestions for things to try to make the pain go away. If you have any, please let me know.



No comments: