Tuesday, September 5, 2017

Bob's Back Issue - Part 4

5-Sep-2017 16:30

So frustrated and angry right now. I just don't get it. I can't stand or sit. And getting help from doctors is like pulling teeth.

Advanced Pain Management (APM) was supposed to call me today to tell me what the next step should be. I had a procedure on Friday to see how much it would help. Well, they didn't call, so I called at 16:30. They were gone, even though they're open until 17:00, so I got their answering service.

Here's how the call went with the answering service guy:

Me: "I'm calling because I was supposed to get a call today and didn't."

[silence]

Me: "Hello?"

Guy: "I'm here."

[silence]

Me: "Can I get some help?"

Then he starts to take my info. After he takes my info, this happens:

Me: "Can I ask you something? Is it me, or does it seem like this doctor's staff doesn't care about their patients?"

Guy: "Why? Because they left early today? I don't see how that means they don't care."

Me: "No, the fact that they left early and didn't call like they said they would."

Guy: "Do you want me to patch you through to the doctor, because it's urgent, or not?"

Me: "Yes."

Conversation with doctor (paraphrasing):

Me: "I need to know what the next step is. Someone was supposed to call me today."

Dr: "Did we do the procedure today?"

Me: "No, it was Friday."

Dr: "I need to know the percentage improvement."

Me: "50% Still can't stand or sit for more than a minute."

Dr: "Jenny will call you to schedule the next appointment. It will take some time since you have Aetna."

Me: "I have Blue Cross."

Dr: "Ok. Jenny will call you, most probably today."

Me: "What would the next step be?"

Dr: "Do another branch block, with stronger medication."

Me: "Ok."

It's 16:58. What are the odds that Jenny calls?

Is it me, or is this terrible?

Oh, and I contacted another doctor on Friday by sending him a fax, explaining my situation and asking for help. And I called that office again this morning and left a message. So far no reply. What the heck? I'm at a loss...

No comments: